Manifesto for E-Resources (docx)
New York Library Association (Jeremy Johannesen, Executive Director)
SUNY Council of Library Directors (Jenica Rogers, Chair)
The NY 3Rs Association, Inc. (Kathy Miller, Chair), comprising these library councils who also endorsed it locally:
- Northern New York Library Network (John Hammond, Executive Director)
- Western NY Library Resources Council (Sheryl Knab, Executive Director)
New York State Higher Education Initiative (NYSHEI)
(Jason Kramer, Executive Director)
The Board of WNY/O ACRL
ENY/ACRL (Jane Kessler, President)
IDS Project (Mark Sullivan, Executive Director)
Connect NY, Inc. (Bart Harloe, Executive Director)
New York State University and College Campuses:
- Bard College
- Clarkson University (Anthony G. Collins, President)
- Ithaca College
- Utica College
- Vassar College
New York State University and College Libraries:
- Mount Saint Mary College Library (Barbara Whitney Petruzzelli, Director)
- SUNY, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, F. Franklin Moon Memorial Library (Stephen P. Weiter, Director)
Pi2 (Michelle L. Young, Chair), comprising the following libraries:
- Bard College, Stevenson Library (Jeffrey Katz, Director)
- Clarkson University, University Libraries (Michelle L. Young, Director)
- Hamilton College, Hamilton College Library (Dave Smallen, Director)
- Hofstra University, Joan & Donald E Axinn Library (Dr. Bernard Firestone, Director)
- Ithaca College, Ithaca College Library (Lisabeth Chabot, Director)
- Manhattanville College, Manhattanville College Library (Jeff Rosedale, Director)
- NYS Dept. of Health, Herbert W. Dickerman Library (Lawrence S. Sturman, Director)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rensselaer Libraries (Bob Mayo, Director)
- Sarah Lawrence College, SLC Esther Raushenbush Library (Sha Fagan, Director)
- Siena College, J Standish Library (Gary Thompson, Director)
- Skidmore College, Lucy Scribner Library (Ruth Copans, Director)
- St. Lawrence University, SLU Libraries (Michael Alzo, Director)
- The College of Saint Rose,Neil Hellman Library (Andrew Urbanek, Director)
- The Sage College, Sage Libraries (Lisa Brainard, Director)
- Utica College, Frank E. Gannett Library (Beverly Marcoline, Director)
- Vassar College, Vassar College Libraries (Sabrina Pape, Director)
scroll down to see more names
A key goal of the NY 3Rs Association’s Information Infrastructure initiative is to ensure affordable access to information needed for the effective support of research, economic development, teaching, and learning throughout New York State. Now is a critical time for libraries to join together in demanding a greater level of cooperation from vendors and publishers that strengthens information access services to all New Yorkers.
We encourage New York libraries and library consortia to support the following principles with regard to all purchased/leased content (in all formats), and agree to endorse and strive to conduct business with only those publishers and vendors who:
- Omit non-disclosure or confidentiality clauses from license agreements for all customers to enhance a library or consortia’s ability to make informed decisions concerning pricing and content.
- Provide flexible pricing and content that accommodate a variety of user groups and research needs.
- Support through licensing agreements educational exceptions or limitations to the exclusive rights of owners.
- Support through licensing agreements the legal concept of fair use in the electronic environment, including common library practices such as interlibrary loan and the inclusion of information in course packs and reserves.
- Allow the use of their data, without restriction, in any emerging technologies and tools that will enhance discoverability and usage.
- Provide standard usage statistics that are in compliance with the latest COUNTER Codes of Practice.
- Support the preservation and dissemination of research in institutional repositories and through other open access initiatives.
- Embrace new business models and are willing to partner with libraries to improve content, delivery, pricing, and access.
- Link pricing structure to suitable indices.
- Provide detailed information that ties product development with product pricing.
If your library system, library, and/or college or university campus as a whole endorses this manifesto, please have your library director, library system director and/or administrator fill out this form!